My slide show

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Continuing Utah - Fri., June 20th-Sun. June 22nd

Fri. June 20th

Today was kind of a lazy day. In the afternoon we went to "This is the Place" monument and talked to Hayden about the pioneers and Brigham Young. He liked seeing the spot where the pioneers completed their journey and where Salt Lake began. Hayden really enjoys history.

That evening Nanny babysat the kids for us so we drove down to Provo. We picked up some take-out from Magleby's fresh, then drove up to South Fork Canyon to eat and relax. Each year on our anniversary we like to review our relationship and remind each other what our strengths are. This year we wrote down about 15 things we would tell a new friend to describe our spouse. Then Mike had us draw pictures of each other. It was a fun and sweet activity.

This is what the kids and Nanny did while we were gone. Nanny calls them "Monster Cookies." There were plenty left when we got home.

Sat. June 21st

Saturday was one of the few days on the vacation that was a little disappointing until about 5pm. We spent forever trying to leave Midvale to go to Pleasant Grove were there was a strawberry festival and rodeo. I was really excited because I have wanted to go to a strawberry festival for years and haven't been able to go, so this was my chance.

But when we finally got there we were sorely disappointed. Apparently the big write-up they had on the internet was about as hokey as a $20 luxury hotel room. We couldn't even find any strawberries! They had a couple kids rides that of course were outragious in price, andthat's about it. We couldn't even get info. on the rodeo that was supposed to happen.

So we spent about 10 min. there before we left and headed up to South Fork Canyon with Nanny and friend Valene. We had a cookout and let the kids explore. It was a relaxing evening in nature. I wish we could drive 15 min. from York and be in the mountains-I mean REAL mountains!

I absolutely love this picture of Connor!

Valene with Serena

Chick Magnet with a stick, look out!

The beautiful view

Sun. June 22nd

Nanny graciously watched the kids for us again this morning so we could go see the Mormon Tabernacle perform "Music and the Spoken Word." It was a beautiful program (Mike even cried because they sang "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof!). That was my first performance in the tabernacle and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Afterwards we enjoyed walking around Temple Square a little and taking some pictures. Mike loves this picture of me so he wanted me to include it. I think this picture turned out well.

These are the gorgeous flowers behind us in the picture.

Time to head back to Midvale for afternoon church.

This is Aunt Annette with Serena. I thought they looked cute with matching shirt and flower. After dinner we drove down to Alpine to visit my former boss and his family.

After I graduated from BYU, I got a job with a sculptor, Blair Buswell, as his business manager. I worked for the Buswells for almost two years until Hayden was a few months old and I couldn't take him to work with me anymore. Plus Blair was in process of moving his studio to a warehouse and needed more employees. Just as I was leaving he had signed the first of three contracts for three phases of a project to go up in Omaha. I believe the finished poduct will be over one city block long. They are 1 and a 1/2 times life-size bronzes of pioneers traveling West (not Mormon pioneers).

This is the Buswell family-Weston, Jocie, Julie, Savannah, and Blair. Jocie liked Serena.

This is their backyard. They have the nicest house and the best backyard for kids. There is a big slide that goes into the sand, a tunnel, all the playground equipment, a nice pool and even a slide into the pool. I love that it's all worked into the landscaping so it looks natural.

This is their kitchen that I loved.

This is their art gallery in their house you see as you walk in. Love it!

After a nice evening of visiting and the kids having fun playing together, Blair was nice enough to drive us over to his warhouse(s) that is his studio. He showed us the first phase that is completed and installed in bronze in Omaha (another trip we have to take). It was absolutely amazing! I have no words to describe it.

The smaller model in front is what he sculpts first. Then they use that to make foam pieces of the actual size version, they cover the foam with clay, and Blair polishes all the details. And I mean EVERY detail-Blair is a perfectionist. You kind of have to be if you want to be a good sculptor.

This was his first time doing animals believe it or not. (Blair specializes in sports figures such as the NFL Hall of Fame heads, Mickey Mantle, Jack Nicklaus, etc.) He was telling us all the research and study of livestock he has done. He has skeletons he uses as models to start because he builds the sculpture just like the anatomy-he works from the bones to the muscles to the skin. Clay Bronze

I was grateful for the time we had to visit with them on our trip, and for the opportunity to have worked for them and to have known them. They are such a wonderful family.

No comments: