My slide show

Friday, February 15, 2008

Grammy Thomas

This is my Grammy (my mom's mom) who is now 77. She looks really good for her age and physically still pretty healthy. Unfortunetely she has Altzheimer's which has progressed rapidly since Christmas. Last week she was sent to the hospital for malnutrition. Up until that point she was living alone (her husband died about 10 years ago), but wasn't remembering to eat or take her medication. So after about a week in the hospital, she was transferred directly to a nursing home in the special wing for Altzheimer patients, where she will spend the rest of her life. Even though I knew this day would eventually arrive, it is still a shock. It has been especially hard on my mom. She has a brother and a sister, but she has done most of the work for Grammy. It's so sad what the disease takes away. She's already forgotten a lot of family which is heartbreaking. How do you live not knowing the person that you have become through a lifetime of experiences? I hope I don't ever have to find out.
I am grateful for the memories I have of Grammy and the family getting together. We continue to share with her as we visit her now in her new home.

2 comments:

We Three Queens said...

It is truly a heartbreaking disease.... as you and I have already discussed many times. With my mom's death from it only a year ago, I'm still amazed at times at how quickly a perfectly functional person became the shell she was at the end. I hope a cure is found some day. And I pray I don't get it! For what it's worth, just take visits the way you'd deal with a toddler's play date... read books, color, play simple games, etc. and you'll be able to enjoy the time together while making some special memories that will bring peace when the inevitably "hard" days hit. It's a difficult journey to have to take. It will teach you a completely different degree of love and compassion... patience and tolerance... and without a doubt... long suffering as you watch your loved one fade away. Just remember that you will rejoice with her again after this mortal journey is complete. Hope this helps.
All My Love,
Brenda

Jamie said...

I'm so sorry. My great-grandma passed away from it, as well as Andy's grandma as you know. I used to take the boys to visit Grandma Herndon and she always loved it. The boys have special memories of going to help feed her, etc. I wish you the best!