My slide show

Monday, February 8, 2010

Our Beloved Elmo

For those of you who don't know, Elmo was our guinea pig that we have had for over 4 years. He passed away yesterday from old age. Mike noticed that he was not doing well in his cage around 11, so we all sat around and held him and comforted him and basically said our good-byes.
We are all missing Elmo today. He was a good guinea pig. He never bit anyone and was always patient when the kids wanted to hold him. The kids in turn were very good at taking care of him, always willing to give him a treat of celery, carrots, lettuce, orange, or whatever else we had. And they always helped to clean his cage and feed him. It's sad to see an empty cage.
Serena is too young to understand and Hayden struggled a bit yesterday but is doing better today. Connor keeps talking about it and is trying to grasp the concept that he's not coming back. It's sad because I think Connor loved him the most. I'm just grateful that my kids first experience with death was with a pet and not a grandparent (mine are in their mid-80's).
The day got worse when I got the stomach flu and missed the Super Bowl cause I was in the bathroom. Yesterday was not a good day.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Death of a pet can be hard. I had a doberman eat my pet alligator once. It was kind of horrific but such is the circle of life. At least thats how my folks explained it.

We Three Queens said...

Oh our little Elmo is gone. How sad. We will miss him too... we always enjoyed when he "vacationed" at our house. I'm really sorry to hear about his passing. Give the kids a big hug for us and remind them that he is playing with other guinea pigs in heaven today.

Jamie said...

Oh, that picture of Hayden brought tears to my eyes! I'm sorry for your loss. :(
And I hope you get better soon!